Monday 13 May 2013

It was a hell of a lot of work, but I think it was worth it...

So, to all intents and purposes Robert Anthony's Caption Blog is no more. When I created that blog it made total sense, because I was constantly creating new captions and they were starting to outnumber the 'proper' posts detailing my life with Mistress R and my other ramblings. So the idea came to me to separate the two parts into dedicated blogs and although it seemed like a good idea at the time it soon dawned on me that instead of one great blog... I now had two good blogs and I kind wished that I hadn't done it (whatever I might have said at the time).
Since the turn of the year I've really not been so interested in making new captions, and so the other blog has become kind of stagnant, save for the videos I've been linking to. Despite this the numbers remained ridiculously high for a blog that really wasn't getting any fresh posts, I mean up until the end it was averaging 1500 hits a day, while this blog was sometimes sinking as low as 800. Truth be told it started to piss me off a little bit. I was putting all my work into this blog and the other blog was getting all the hits!
So, I decided something had to be done. Now that I wasn't creating new captions very often I couldn't really see the point of keeping the two blogs separate, so I decided that I would restore the blog back almost to the way it was in the beginning. So initially I was going to just import the posts from that blog back into this one which would have been a relatively quick job, but meant that all the captions would be hard to find and would be ages back in the blog history.
So I decided instead to do it properly and invested several hours, and I'm talking probably ten or twelve in all, to save each individual caption to a folder on my desktop, sort them into themes and then repost them in batches on this blog (but dated 2010 so that they wouldn't appear on the front pages). I will very soon be putting some better links on the right hand side of the blog to make access better, but I need a little free time to do that properly (please continue using the links in yesterday's posts for the moment).
So anyway, I'm really pleased with how it's turned out and hopefully the people who visit this blog looking for captions and videos will also read my stories and my blog posts, at least it's somewhat more likely now that everything is on the same blog. And judging by the stats chart below my efforts were certainly not wasted, I can't remember the last time I had a 3000 hit day.


So anyway, I will be making some more captions in the future and they will appear on the caption menu page with the others. When I post new captions they will be in sets and I will make a post on the main page alerting people that they are there. Videos will be added as I find them, but may not be flagged, so keep checking the video pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment