Saturday 11 February 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Best Bondage Erotica 2012...


I am not familiar with this series of books, but I do own a couple of books edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel and they aree both pretty good, so I approached this with some optimism. It certainly starts out well with a very hot story written by Shoshanna Evers about a woman dabbling in some self-bondage with a twist, that being that she has frozen the keys to her handcuffs in a block of ice and in the process left herself unable to remove the vibrator that is secured inside her. 34 minutes of enforced orgasms later she finally manages to get free, only to chastise herself for 'cheating' and plotting ways to make her predicament more difficult the next time.
Former 'Forum Magazine' editor Elizabeth Coldwell's 'A Night at the Opera' on the other hand, is disappointing. The overly pretentious background to the story is distracting and the ending is a little cheesy, which is a shame really because I have read her work before and been impressed. 
No such trouble for  Lucy Felthouse, who's 'Trophy Boyfriend' entertains well, or Salome Wild, who's 'The Spider and the Fly' overcomes it's slightly far-fetched storyline by virtue of being well written and by giving the characters some depth before the action even starts, something which is often overlooked in a short story.
Andrea Dale's 'Darlene's Dilemma' puts me off right from the start by featuring an ageing 'rockstar' character. I know I may be in the minority, but to me, fiction should first and foremost be believable. If I can't get behind it, if I can't believe in it, then I really find it hard to care. Of course in fiction the writers tend to give their characters flawless bodies, huge cocks, etc etc and while these can grate at times they are relatively easy to overlook, but any story which features the 'rockstar' or similar, the playboy with his own private island or anything so completely alien that I find it hard to relate or care is off to a bad start, and so it is with 'Darlene's Dilemma'.
Much better is A.R. Shannon's 'Snow White', a nice spanking story which could actually have done with a few more pages to really make the most of itself. 
Elise Hepner's contribution doesn't really press any of my buttons and loses points for it's cliched references to Manalos and Jimmy Choos, I mean really when one woman is dominating another and making her worship her heels, who cares what make they are really? I know that might sound petty, but it's a bit like the 'ageing rockstar' thing, it just hampers the story unnecessarily in my eyes.
Thankfully Kay Jaybee comes to the rescue with the excellent 'The Cupboard Under the Stairs', which is one of the few stories in this book that got my full attention.
Overall this is a pretty good compilation of stories, and with any book of this type there's always going to be some better than others, or perhaps one's which appeal to you more than others. It's a good way to find new authors who you can follow as they (hopefully) progress to writing longer stories and novels.

This book is available to buy from Eden Fantasys who can of course also provide you with a wide range of adult toys, lingerie and other goodies, and if you click the book cover at the top of the page it will take you directly to the page where you can purchase it.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment