Saturday 27 April 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Nothing Ventured: A Twisted Tale of High Tech and High Heels by Salome Verdad...


I'm really not sure how to review this one, it's a bit strange... to say the least. When I first started reading it I found it quite enjoyable, funny even in places... the problem is how can I explain my problem with the book without discussing the ending? Well, I'll try...
I did enjoy the first 3/4 of the book, but I never once found it arousing, which would seem like a failing in a book of this nature. And yet, I wanted to finish the book and I didn't find it a chore at all. I could pick holes in it, the chastity belt that is just snapped on out of the blue, the drug laced shoes (er, yeah...) and so on, but it was 'entertaining'.
My problem started when it suddenly turned unexpectedly violent, which totally threw me. Indeed the first mention of a woman being 'punched hard in the side of the head by a dyke with a gloved fist' kind of made me think it was a misunderstanding on my part or possibly a badly phrased line. 
It wasn't and from there on it got more and more violent.
Which I have to say, really ruined my enjoyment of the book. I just don't get why it took that direction at all. After all the trouble Salome went to to furnish me with a Kindle copy of the book I kind of feel a little bad that my review isn't a little more positive, and indeed up until the last quarter of the book I was all ready to give it a thumbs up, albeit with the caveat that it never once gave me the slightest glimmer of wood. I see there is a four star review on Amazon though so maybe it's just me?

You can purchase 'Nothing Ventured' by visiting Amazon.co.uk (here) or Amazon.com (here).

No comments:

Post a Comment