Saturday 8 October 2011

REVIEW: The Vanilla Dominatrix by Giles English...


Firstly I must apologise to Giles for the delay in writing this review, I received this several weeks ago and promptly forgot all about it, so my sincere apologies for that lapse Giles. Well of course now that I have read the book, I am in a position to give you some feedback.
It's actually quite hard for me to relate to this book in my position, in fact I would very much like Giles to write a follow up book about how someone who is in my position can move things further forward without risking ruining what he has already got. Now that would be a book I would want to read. I would love for Mistress R to be more demanding and to let her 'cruel' side out, but I really don't know how to achieve this and am fearful of losing the wonderful life I have got for myself trying, so Giles, there's a project for you.
But let's get back to Giles' current project for now...
This book is written from an almost academic standpoint, with references to ancient Greece in the early parts of the book and a scientific approach to the task at hand. Rest assured this book has a purpose and anyone purchasing in the hope of being titillated will be disappointed. This is written like a text book, which does make it a little dry for the casual reader, but if you are considering purchasing this book then you are probably not a casual reader.
Giles gets you to analyse your own circumstances and uses examples to show how you can 'manipulate' situations to get the things you want without crossing your wife/lover's boundaries. The word manipulate always carries negative connotations, but in this instance I don't see that it should. Manipulation is exactly what is being suggested, but if that has the positive outcome that is the aim of the book, and everyone is happy in the end, then I don't see the harm.
The truth is most women would probably baulk at the idea of male submission and chastity, until they try it, but how do you convince them if they flatly refuse to try it? What this book sets out to do is to suggest ways you can steer your relationship gradually the way you would like it to go. I still think there are a few jumps in assumption here and there, and the fact is all you can do is try and show your wife/lover the benefits to her of accepting your proposal, and seeing how it goes.
If she likes the way it goes then all well and good, and if not then you haven't really lost anything, you just know where you stand and based on that you have to make a decision on whether the relationship still works for you or not.
Personally I still prefer the direct approach, but then I would because it worked pretty well for me, and that approach is more suited to a relationship like mine and Mistress R's. However I can see that if you are in a relationship where your wife/lover is staunchly vanilla then this book could offer some pointers on how to go about bringing change through a slightly less orthodox approach. If nothing else I can see that perhaps it might make you think more about the relationship as it stands and how you might bring about the changes you want.
I'm still not sure that you're ever going to convince a truly vanilla partner that handcuffing you to a radiator overnight is 'normal', but then that doesn't really appeal to me anyway.
Actually my favourite parts of the book were the historical background pieces at the beginning. It was very interesting to read about the 'real' slaves in ancient Greece being used for their female owners sexual kicks, although the part about methods of sterilising slaves brought tears to my eyes (ouch!).

The Vanilla Dominatrix is available through Lulu for £9.99 here

No comments:

Post a Comment